Monday, January 3, 2011

PIGS

In the second grade, my teacher Mrs. Ried came into class riled up one day and explained that on her morning drive to work she had seen a man roll down his window and throw out a bag of McDonald's trash out onto the high way. Her response was to blare her car horn and roll down her own window shouting "you pig!" at the vehicle's driver. While this was hardly the singular event defining my passion, for as far back as I remember I have hated seeing people litter. It outrages me. I dedicate this blog to my ongoing rage towards people who waste, and my slightly neurotic, compulsive tendencies to save whatever I can for repurposing.

I have come to save cigarette butts and fast food trash when riding in friends' cars to avoid seeing them toss trash out of their windows. This seems to many to be overkill, but as I see it, the least you can do after choosing to buy your cheap food from a vendor that wraps everything in foil and Styrofoam (the root of all evil) is to take a few more seconds out of your day to place your trash in a garbage can. At least make this small effort to make up for conforming to the fast food companies' slow depreciation of our resourses by placing the trash where it can be dealt with (hopefully) in a way that won't continue to poison your environment. I want YOU to think about what you are doing, and I want you get as angry as Mrs. Ried did back in the day when you see others throwing trash on the ground.

6 comments:

  1. Well, whining about it isn't going to do anything for your cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally am not outraged when someone misses a trash bin, why should I be so mad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about littering! It is pure laziness and disrespect for the world around us. I'm excited to see what you plan to do about this environmental and aesthetic inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping cigarette butts on your person seems strange.

    ReplyDelete