Monday, January 3, 2011

Computers and Medicine


When I told my friends or for that matter anybody, that I want to major in Business and minor in computer science and be a pre-medical student, I usually got back a “what are you talking about?, that’s like not possible at all!”. The people also feel that medicine and computers are not related, even though they know it is… Even certain professors and teacher have told me that they both are separate disciplines and that I should concentrate only on one and not on many things and what not. Every since computers were created they were incorporated into every field. As pre-medical student, I want blog about the Computers and Medicine and how they are related to each other. Computer plays a very vital in today’s medicine. They help us to do various procedures, which were not possible back in the olden days. But these people don’t understand that even a simple digital thermometer used in common households is a computer itself. People prefer that doctors deal with viruses and pathogens like H1N1, Ebola etc rather than computer viruses like Trojan Horses. True, but I would like to ask those people how are robots used in surgeries, who programmed them the way they work? Just a computer software engineer cannot do the job, can he? Only a medical doctor and a computer software engineer can do that. Computer software is used for a lot of diagnosis of diseases in the 21st century. It can be used for the examination of internal organs of our body. Advanced computer-based systems are used to examine delicate organs of the body, as well. Some of the complex surgeries can be performed with the aid of computers. The different types of monitoring equipment in hospitals are often based on computer programming. Computers have definitely revolutionized the way a doctor treats a patients.







2 comments:

  1. I think its crazy how technology is rapidly revolutionizing medicine and what it has made capable so I think this is a great topic but I do think most people are aware that computers are necessary in medicine. And, as far as the structure, it might help to break up the text so its not so overwhelming. And I can't see your graphic :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love how you stand your ground about your interests and how they are intertwined. That's very commendable, and I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete